Monday, October 24, 2011

Día del Agua

On top of every house in Huehuetenango are large black containers called depositos. Every other day the deposit is filled up with water from the city. It is filtered and stored in these containers and they supply water to the entire house for about two days. Today we didn't receive our normal ration of water, which means going three days on one ration of water.  That means no water in evenings typically to wash dishes, take showers, wash your hands, or use the baño.  I know I’m fortunate to have running water and a flushing toilet but sometimes it is a bit complicated and they don’t function reliably!

In the United States, it is easy to take water for granted. However, in much of the world, water is a scarce and pricey commodity...about the same price as a beer here! Even though I live in what I feel a very comfortable house in Huehue, we periodically have the water shut off. Thankfully today is dia del agua, “water day” which is when the deposit fills up with water. Finally learned that these are the days when I wash my clothes and take a shower.

Deposito
Landscapes dotted with black water tanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment