For most of us death is a foreign idea that we dread in the future and avoid thinking about until old age. For others, death may be an event they've experienced, try to put it out of the memory and if they must talk about it, then it's an awkward discussion that usually ends with a silent pause at the end and then someone quickly changes the subject to something "happier". At least that's been my experience. Yet, the last two nights I saw something very different from this as families congregated in the cemetery to celebrate the lives of their loved ones with flowers, incense and candles. It was an uplifting evening for families. Women and men dressed up in their trajes and dress. I felt honored that these people would let us "in" on their tradition. It was essentially a party in the cemetery with music, prayer, and smiles as people looked on at the graves of old friends and relatives. I very quickly wished we did this for our past loved ones in the States.
 |
| San Pedro Cemetery |
 |
| Cemetery in San Juan La Laguna |
No comments:
Post a Comment